AC Power Cords for Microsoft Surface Pro, Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and certain Microsoft Surface Pro 3’s
Microsoft has initiated a voluntary recall for AC power cords (the cord that plugs into an electrical outlet) sold with the Microsoft Surface Pro and Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and with any Microsoft Surface Pro 3 purchased prior to March 15, 2015 (“pre-March 15, 2015 Surface Pro 3”). This is being done in cooperation with various government regulatory agencies.
If these AC cords are sharply and repeatedly bent or wrapped tightly over an extended period of time, they may become damaged. Damaged AC power cords can overheat, posing a potential fire or shock hazard.
- Stop using your AC power cord if you have a Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2, or a pre-March 15, 2015, Surface Pro 3. Replacement AC power cords will be provided at no cost through the program website.
- Please go to the Microsoft website at www.surface.com/powercord to obtain your free replacement AC power cord. You should dispose or recycle your replaced AC cord in accordance with local requirements.
- Review the cord care instructions on the Surface support page at Power Cord Care.
- Microsoft Surface devices and other accessories are not affected. Only the specified AC power cords are subject to this recall.
- AC power cords connect the power supply unit to a wall outlet and are removable from the power supply unit.